Monday, October 8, 2012

KCWC Day 1

Just a stroke or two before midnight, and I'm signing in for my share and show for the night.  I'm going to follow Elsie Marley's simple blogging suggestion and just give you the basic rundown:  pattern, fabric, and sewing.  That way I can go and get all the beauty rest I need to sew some more tomorrow.  And clean the bathroom, do some laundry, errands, oh, and I have three kiddos, but making time for sewing will happen!

Scene from today:


Awesome sewing space.  I kept giving myself the Tim Gunn pep talk all day, "Make it work!"

Also, just know that since it's "real time" over here, I don't have day light hours to take pictures with.  My bright white bathroom is as good as it gets.  Maybe I'll get lucky and do a photo shoot tomorrow.



The Pattern:  It's Anna Maria Horner's Paper Fan Dress pattern.  It's free and you can find it HERE.  Anna Maria created this pattern for Janome. As always I learned a couple of new things from Anna like under stitching (I had to YouTube it) and knife pleats.  I'm also always in awe and maybe frustration (when I can't figure out how to do it) of how she hides all her seams.  I have a serger, so my first instinct is to serge my seams and be done.  I'm sure I could have used my serger, and maybe I will in the future, but where's the challenge in taking the easy way out!

Knife pleats on the back of the dress.

The Fabric:  The little birdies come from a line called Heaven and Helsinki by Michael Miller.  I bought it this past summer.  And the pin dot is also a Michael Miller print.  I've had it for over 3 years now?  Or maybe just 2.  I'm not sure.  It's in the stash.  I love the pin dot, but it's been a hard color to match, but I thought it complimented the Heaven and Helsinki perfectly.



The Sewing:  Let's just say my sewing skills felt rusty today.  I mean I know I know how to sew, but it's been a couple of months since I read a pattern.  I felt like it showed today.  I'm still not sure I finished the bodice and skirt correctly (pictured below), but it's function, and you can't see any seams.  Sew, I'm calling it good.  I also intentionally chose what I thought would be the hardest project for today in case I needed to take more than one day to finish it.  I'm proud to say I finished at 10:15.  Not too bad.  I'm hoping the skirt I have on the agenda for tomorrow goes quicker, but who knows.


That's a wrap for today!

Fingers crossed tomorrow is as productive as today was!


4 comments:

Paula said...

beautifully :D
well better that you have not seen my creative mess :)
lovely dress - I must conjure up some of my little lady :)

and the right time to save up for sewing is a priceless Prozac :)

Sarah Moran said...

I think the pin dot works so well with the main print! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your KCWC projects.

Annee said...

Totally impressed!! I am rooting for you sew much. I really hope you get to make all your sewing dreams come true this week!! Sew for the both of us!

Amanda said...

All I can say is wow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...