Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Library Totes



I live across the street from a library.  My kids love going to the library, and checking books out and movies, but I hate the responsibility of keeping up with our borrowed items.



I work really well with systems, but without knowing where our library books will fit into our house I just usually opt to not let my kids check things out.


Then I saw Annee's darling "Read" bags for end-of-the-year teacher gifts.  They were to die for adorable.  I started thinking my two Gs could use a similar bag as part of a library system, and then I could start letting them check stuff out.  The bags could open up a world of possibilities for my little ones.  They might actually get the experience of checking things out.



I knew I wasn't going to be able to do the patchwork books on the front if I wanted to get two bags made before the summer was out.  I also knew I wanted thicker fabric then quilter cotton for the bags.  While at Ikea getting the fabric for my Summer Tote, I found the smaller striped fabric that Annee used to make her Bow Bag Tutorial.  My Ikea discontinued the fabric, but I got lucky and they had a bolt of red and white striped and black and white striped.


And two little bags were born.


I added a zipper pocket on the inside.  


I then let Grace and George each get their very own library cards that they will keep inside the pocket along with the receipt of what they checked out from the library.



I made the bags Friday night, and we've been to the library 3 times since then.  After all, it's across the street.  It's a luxury really.  Free entertainment.  I'm kind of sad I didn't make the bags sooner!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Great bags! I'm in love with the stripes. Your pink one too. Wish our ikea had some stripes. See you soon!

Amanda said...

brilliant. we are constantly loosing library books!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...