Tuesday, May 10, 2011

KCWC Day #1

Yesterday was day one for me of Kids Clothing Week Challenge.  I completely finished one dress, and got really close to finishing a second:


McCall 5966

I mostly followed the pattern completely.  However, the piping was my own addition.  It slowed me W A Y down and required me to unpick more than once!  And even I sewed a sleeve on inside out.  Apparently I was a bit distracted?!


Next, I attempted the MADE men's dress-shirt to little girls dress tutorial.  The most annoying part of this tutorial is the lack of a pattern piece.  It's fine to not include a pattern piece in a tutorial, but all users should beware that it's then a 50-50 chance that your end result will be similar to the tutorial's end result. Anyway, this is actually the second one I made, all in one day!  The first one was too narrow.  This one is going to be too short.  It will have to be a tunic, which will require some leggings.  Not exactly what I was hoping for in a summer dress.  But whatever, it's about learning and growing, right?!  I'll get it finished today.


My goal with KCWC was to sew two things each day.  Had I not messed up my sizing on the first shirt dress, I might have actually reached my goal.  Since I have left over "homework" from yesterday, I'm not so sure that I'll get two more things made today.  We'll see!  I better get out to the sewing garage.  I hope you're getting things done too.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I'm tired just looking at what you made!! Seriously amazing that you made two things yesterday. So sorry that the first shirt dress didn't turn out. Such a bummer!

I love the addition of piping to the first dress. Great idea!

Good luck today!

Rachel said...

Loving that yellow dress! I tried a mens shirt dress twice and both times they just looked "wrong." Darn it!

Flori said...

I'm so glad you're blazing the trail with these! I have that same dress pattern but haven't tried it yet. It looks really short in the bodice to me. How does it fit on? I have been wanting to try the shirt tutorial too but it seemed too "iffy" and I'm not willing to spend the time right now. I will learn from your experience!

Sarah Moran said...

I used the men's shirt to dress tutorial last year to make a dress for Abigail. It worked out well for me, but I think I was just lucky!

Annee said...

Flori, I'll get a picture with a little girl in that dress before the week is over! When they have put it on, I haven't been struck with it being short in the bodice. It seems to fit "normal" to me.

Great news, the second attempt at the shirt dress has been a success! What a relief. I'm not in love with having to make my own pattern pieces, in case I wasn't clear about that :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...