Friday, March 4, 2011

Make Believe



My mom has been here visiting us, and we've been having a blast.  While she's been here she's made a few request from MOM West Coast.  Funny, my mom knows how to sew, and she own a machine, but she'd rather I do the sewing.  I do love to sew, and sewing in the middle of the day while Grandma plays with my kids is heavenly, so I won't complain!



After the request of pajama pants, my mom wanted some little dish towels and wash clothes for her to use when she plays with my niece Waverly (my mom lives 5 miles from her and plays with her regularly).  Waverly is the little one pictured above.  She's 6 months older now, and she likes to play make believe in her little kitchen, so my mom thought it would be fun to have some mini kitchen linens for Waverly.



All of these linens were made out of scraps, and using up my scraps always makes me so happy!  I took one regular size dish towel, cut it into quarters and serged all sides of the mini towels, and then designed 4 simple kitchen towels.  If you don't have a serger, you could either use your zig zag stitch.



The big flower is my favorite.



Then I made 4 little wash clothes.  






I cut quilter cotton squares and placed them wrong side together with minky and then just serged them.





Now if you are reading this and you don't have a serger, don't worry.  You could simply use your zig zag stitch on the edges.  Or, you could always place the quilter cotton squares right sides together with the minky, sew all around it leaving a 2 inch opening on one side, flip it right sides out, and then top stitch all the way
around.



Grace and George enjoyed trying out the mini linens.



As I was making all the kitchen linens for Waverly, I then decided she needed a mini baby blanket.  I made Grace and George each one, and they both like it.  Again, I used only scraps, even the back was a minky scrap I found.



I used my Picket Fence Pillow tutorial for the quilt top.  I took the design and reversed it.  Instead of having the color in the middle, I decided to put it on the edges.  My thinking was that the mini blanket could be for a baby boy or a baby girl.  We like flexibility in this house!


Grace and her baby approved of the mini blanket.

I have one more idea for little Waverly.  My mom leaves on Sunday, so we'll see if I get more sewing time before she goes.  Fingers crossed!

Have a good weekend, and Happy Sewing!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Tell your mom hi for me!

Sarah said...

What great ideas, and so so cute too. Baby Wavey will love them!

Annee said...

I love the idea of the reverse picket fence pillow for the mini-quilt. That's super cute! It's all so darling. Sewing miniature stuff is so fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...