Sunday, December 12, 2010

12 more days!

Sew Sister, crafters and readers of MOM, we are in the final countdown!!!  Only 12 more days until Christmas.  Last year I was like a machine and cranked out handmade gifts for everyone on my list.  This year I settled down a bit, and I've purchased most of my gifts.  I do find though for those people in my life who are hardest to shop for making them something seems like the way to go.

Keep reading and you'll find out more about the loud pants I'm wearing!


The first gift I sewed for Christmas was a Yoga Mat Carrier.  The idea seemed like the perfect gift for a friend on my list, and I had two sewing books that had patterns for the carrier.  I really thought this would be an easy thing to make.  Unfortunately it took me 3 days and lots of frustration.  The pattern I went with was from Joel Dewberry's Sewn Spaces.  The book has great ideas, but sadly the instructions lack some illustrations and directions.  In the end, I'm just happy the Yoga Mat Carrier looks as good as it does.



I do think the strap is a little tight, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.  I'll keep you posted if I change anything.



Next up was a pair of Amy Butler pajama pants.  Annee made me a pair for Christmas last year.  I made a pair while with Annee in Korea, but still I had issues with these pants.  I won't get into it, and in the end these are a very simple project that turn out super cute.  It does require quite a bit of material, but the pajama pants I made are for a vertically challenged person like myself, so I only needed 2 yards.  Really I could have probably used less than 2 yards, but I made a cutting error to start the project off on the right foot, and I needed 2 whole yards.



I'm including the ever important profile picture.  This is for any Project Runway fans.  The profile is very important in fashion, or at least this is what Michael Kors, Heidi Klum and Nina Garcia have led me to believe!




Last up and probably my favorite creation of the past week was the Kirstin Shirt.  Annee made it this year for  Jane and Ruby's 5th birthday.  I've been wanting to try it ever since.  The finished product is darling, but kind of like the Joel Dewberry book, it lacks some illustrations.  I guess I'm just a very visual learner.  I worked it out last night (with the help of my trusty seam ripper), and Grace was able to wear it to church today which was my goal.



I love that this skirt has a flat panel front waistband and the gathered waistband in the back.  The big bow in front is also a definite plus!



The shirt and tights came from Target.  I'm sure I could have made a matching shirt, but I really think Grace's shirt matches her skirt perfectly.  Thank you Target!

That's all for tonight.  I'm not sure what is next up for my sewing room, but I do have some more presents that need to get made.  I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Grace's skirt is ADORABLE! Love that big bow too

Jana said...

cute skirt!. Oh my, Christmas is coming up. I need to get a move on. I often decide around this time to start my crafty presents, but I think I just might have to forgo them this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...