Thursday, April 1, 2010

Quilt intermission.

First came the pattern, McCall's 5458.  I've been staring at it since October.  It was a special delivery from a friend who moved back to America before me.  She told me she got it for $1.  I wasn't sure how I would use it, so I've just been looking at it.

Then came the Eiffle Tower Japanese print linen fabric on a bolt at Happy Quilt, one time, it was gone by the next time.  On a whim I bought a yard, because as a general rule, I don't pass up anything with the Eiffel Tower on it.  Then I got the idea I could interpret McCall's 5458 more vintage like with the linen.  If I had my way, I think the white would have been the teal color, or maybe even the pink.  But I had to go with what I had.  I think in theory I love it.  Ruby said she'd wear it, but it's a bit of a boxy fit, and adding insult to injury, she told me it's itchy!  That's exactly what I was afraid of.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO MAKE LINEN NOT BE ITCHY?!  I'm serious.  If you know a secret, please share it here.  I've been googling it for an answer, but I'm not getting anywhere. 






I'll tie a prettier bow in the back when she wears it.  I am so glad I didn't decide to leave out this element, as I thought I was going to.  This really does work to sinch the dress in, and that totally saves the dress in my opinion!

I have been brewing over a second dress since I finished the Eiffel Tower dress on Tuesday.  I thought I was going to immediately launch into a second dress for Sunday, but I'm stumped.  Not the right pattern, too tired to make it up on the go, not the right fabric, etc.  It's been depressing.   

But today, I stopped everything mid-afternoon because I had to see if I could make myself a wrap skirt, and could I like it?!  Using my "Sew What Skirts" book, I went for it.  And you know what?? It fits pretty well.  I'll make a few adjustments in the future, but I will totally wear this skirt, and I'll make more for the spring.  This skirt works, and that made my day today. 



We'll all model our outfits on Sunday.  Try not to lose any sleep over it...

2 comments:

Liz said...

I love the Eiffel Tower dress!! Both the fabric and design! I have no idea what to do with linen. Maybe wash it a couple of times and dry it with a softener sheet to soften it up?? Or maybe that shrinks it?? Good luck!

I also love the wrap skirt, and I especially love that I have the book too. I may need to be your twin. We have the same hair color now. :)

Liz said...

P.S. - I LOVE the fabric choice for your skirt. So bold!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...